With BBQ season officially here, this Vegan Burger is the perfect Father's Day treat. This is Fearne Cotton's recipe and we absolutely love it. Don't forget a large napkin!
¼ red cabbage, cored and shredded
¼ red onion, finely sliced
1 carrot, grated
1 apple, cored and grated
1 tsp Dijon mustard
2 tsp sherry vinegar
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Small handful of flat leaf parsley, leaves only, finely chopped
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 x 400g tins jackfruit
2 tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
200ml BBQ sauce (any type)
4 burger buns, halved
Small handful of rocket
1.In a large bowl, combine all of the slaw ingredients, season well and set aside.
2. Drain and thoroughly rinse the jackfruit and pat it dry with kitchen paper.
3. Put the oil into a non-stick pan and set over a high heat. Add the jackfruit and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes, until beginning to colour.
4. Add the garlic and fry for another minute until aromatic.
5. Add the BBQ sauce, reduce the heat and simmer gently, stirring frequently, for 25-30 minutes until the sauce is thick and the jackfruit is tender.
6. Once tender, use two forks to shred the jackfruit.
7. Preheat the grill to high. Toast the inside of the burger buns under the grill. Top the bases of the buns with the rocket and a little of the slaw. Add some pulled jackfruit and some more slaw on top
Now enjoy ... are you man enough?